Unspinning Occupy Wall Street: Mainstream Media & the 99%
December 8, 2011 ·
Join NYT eXaminer to look at one of the biggest stories of 2011—your story.
A public discussion about mainstream media’s representation of OWS and lessons for the new year.
Tuesday December 20th
7:30PM - 9:30PM
451 West Street
NY 10014 (map below).
This event will explore how mainstream media coverage developed from the first days of OWS, including the Brooklyn Bridge arrests, Mayor Bloomberg’s eviction of the occupation from Liberty Plaza, and, among other events, the national crack-down on the occupations. We will also explore corporate media’s portrayal of the 99% and consider how the Occupy movement is transforming to move forward into 2012.
Discussants will include:
- Sarah Leonard: Writer and Editor at Dissent magazine and The New Inquiry, and an editor of Occupy! An OWS-Inspired Gazette
- Danny Schechter: News dissector, blogger, filmmaker and troublemaker who has been covering Occupy for Al Jazeera and other websites and has just finished a book of his reporting called—how original—OCCUPY
- Gideon Oliver: Attorney and President of the NYC chapter of the National Lawyers Guild
- Mark Bray: Member of the Occupy Wall Street Press Team. For 12 years, he has been a political organizer involved in the anti-globalization movement, the anti-war movement, labor organizing, and student and immigrant rights organizing. He is also a third year PhD student in European History at Rutgers University.
- Sam Lewis: Photojournalist based in Brooklyn, New York who covers housing, labor and poverty for various publications. Sam has covered OWS as a photojournalist since it began. Her photography has been featured on WNET’s MetroFocus, WNYC, City Limits, FSRN and MSNBC
- Ari Paul: New York-based journalist and a frequent contributor to the Indypendent. He has covered labor, criminal justice and human rights for The Nation, The Guardian, Dissent, The Forward, Al Jazeera English, Z Magazine, and many others. Ari has been writing about the relationship between OWS to labor and the response by the police
- Chris Spannos: Former Editor of ZNet and Founder & Editor of NYT eXaminer (NYTX)
Check back here for updates, additional speaker information, and poster downloads.
Map to event:
View Larger Map
Organized by NYT eXaminer (NYTX)
Email: [email protected]
By NYT eXaminer NYTX